Courage is the first essential for a writer. ~Katherine Anne Porter
It takes courage and character to be a writer. It means accepting the risk of revealing yourself and overcoming fears of putting your feelings and dangerous ideas right there on the page. ~Alan Rinzler
The COURAGE TO WRITE grant program encourages and supports emerging voices of all ages. Writing takes focus, courage and time. The COURAGE TO WRITE grants provide a monetary respite that offers you freedom to focus on your creative process and enhance your craft.
Who Should Apply
We welcome applications from adult writers actively engaged in a writing project and for whom a monetary boost could help further or complete the project. Applicants may be writing in any genre.
In 2022, The de Groot Foundation will award seven unrestricted grants of $7,000 each.
- Applications are open to individual adult writers regardless of race, ethnicity, gender orientation, education, economic situation, geographic origin or location.
- Applicants must be individuals. Companies or organization are not eligible.
- Applicants must be over 18 years of age at the time of the application deadline.
- Applicants must use their legal name, not a pen name.
- Applications are not open to family, members of the board or employees of the The de Groot Foundation or the selection committee.
- Applications must be submitted in English.
How to apply
Applications will be made through the Submittable platform.
There are three parts to the application.
- A brief bio sketch of up to 120 words – this will be inserted into the application form.
- The letter of application* (1-3 pages) which must include:
- An introduction to the writing project for which you are seeking support. (1 to 3 paragraphs)
- How this project is important. (1 or 2 paragraphs)
- How the grant will be helpful to you at this time. (1 – 2 paragraphs)
- Anything else you would like us to know about you as a writer and your project. (1 paragraph)
- Five pages* of a current, unpublished writing project. Do not submit previously published writing.
*The letter of application and the five pages of a current writing project must be uploaded as a single document. You will submit your application through the Submittable platform, which you will be directed to. Please make sure your document is ready to send before uploading. Once you have submitted an application, you are unable to go back and change it.
Use Times New Roman 12-point font and double space your application document.
- Applications close at Midnight PDT on May 31, 2022.
- Recipients will be notified by late July, 2022.
- Grants will be awarded by the end of August 2022.
- Project reports due August 15, 2023.
The one-time application fee of $22.00 and will be paid through the Submittable platform at the time that you submit.
Selection committee decisions are final. Correspondence will only be entered into with finalist candidates.
Successful applicants will be asked to complete a Grant Acceptance Agreement and if appropriate, a US W-9 tax form. One year after receipt of funding, grantees are asked to complete and return a one-to-two-page final report so that we can learn about your project and the grant’s impact on your work.
APPLICATIONS for COURAGE to WRITE grants are NOW OPEN.
If you have unanswered questions, click here.